The natural waterfall in the River Långshytteströmmen and the plentiful flow provided good conditions for iron production as early as the fifteenth century. The ore was brought from mines in Bispberg and Garpenberg. In the mid-eighteenth century the mine-owners built a timbered smelting house. In 1861 it was replaced by a splendid new smelting house, the biggest in Sweden in terms of size and capacity. Both smelting houses still stand today. Of the ironworks that Husby Parish once boasted, only Långshyttan survives today. Production now consists of stainless steel and high-speed steel.